Job Title: Road Safety Auditor / Road Safety Engineer
Reporting to: Technical Director – Engineering Services
Hours: 36.5 hours per week
Salary: Competitive salary
*The office is in Coventry, and you will be required to come into the office from time to time, we also offer a hybrid working policy. Road Safety Audits completed throughout the UK
About TMS Consultancy
We offer a friendly, welcoming work environment, and we pride ourselves on teamwork and collaboration to deliver our expert services, which has led to our success. Several of our team have been in the business 15+ years.
Over the last 30 years TMS has evolved and grown big enough to be a leading provider of Road Safety Audits and training throughout the UK and abroad, but flexible enough to continue to care and be agile.
Our key driving principle is to deliver services and solutions that make roads safer and ultimately reduce casualties. Our aim is to always deliver practical solutions that make a positive difference to everyday life. We feel justifiably proud of the reputation we have gained as independent experts within the industry.
Main Purpose of the Job
Depending on individual experience, candidates will be involved in a range of road safety engineering and traffic management project work.
The work at TMS includes the following:
- Road Safety Audits (in accordance with DMRB Standard GG 119 Rev 2)
- Safety/risk assessments
- Workplace transport risk assessments
- Collision investigation and prevention studies
The majority of our road safety audit work is carried out within the UK.
- Carrying out Road Safety Audits, as audit team leader or team member (depending on the level of experience), on a wide variety of highway scheme types, ranging from major motorways to minor development access schemes.
- As TMS carries out Road Safety Audits throughout the UK, there is a significant amount of travel involved as part of this role. In addition, some road safety auditing work requires site visits after dark (Stage 3 Road Safety Audits) which, in summer months, often results in auditors working/travelling later in the evening. As a result, the role requires a degree of flexibility in working arrangements; this is required from all of those at TMS.
- Detailed collision analysis, problem identification and the development of appropriate solutions/remedial measures that can be recommended and presented to clients.
- The completion of safety/risk assessments and workplace transport risk assessments at highway sites, or within workplace premises such as industrial sites, warehouses, airports, factories etc
It is essential that the successful candidate has the following skills
- A minimum of two years’ experience in the field of road safety engineering or collision investigation.
- Experience of carrying out Road Safety Audits as team member/team leader (in accordance with GG 119 Rev 2) in the past 24 months (with at least five in the last 12 months) and having attended at least 10 days of formal Collision Investigation or Road Safety Engineering training.
- The ability to write clear and concise technical reports accurately with a high standard of English and a good understanding of technical terms. The writing of technical reports is an integral part of the role.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite e.g., Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Knowledge and experience of current road safety issues, highway design standards and traffic engineering and traffic management techniques.
- Must have held a full driving licence for a minimum of two years and be comfortable driving long distances, driving on the motorway and driving at night.
It is desirable that the successful candidate has the following skills
- National Highways Certificate of Competency in Road Safety Audit.
- Membership of SoRSA.
- AutoCAD skills would be useful but not essential.
The successful candidate has the following qualities
- Strong communication skills, able to liaise with colleagues and customers on a daily basis.
- Hardworking and conscientious, reliable and flexible.
- Able to work under pressure and to deadlines. Good prioritisation skills are essential.
- The ability to work on your own initiative, taking control of nominated areas of responsibility.
- Team worker who actively contributes towards resolution of problems and improvements to processes within a team environment.
- Good organisational, planning and office administration skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, with a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Smart appearance, clear spoken communications with a friendly and outgoing personality and good interpersonal skills. A positive outlook with a “can do” attitude.
Benefits of Working for TMS Consultancy
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours and ability to earn time off in lieu
- 25 days of annual leave. Plus, bank holidays and office closure during Christmas (not taken out of annual leave entitlement)
- Option to buy or sell annual leave (up to 5 days per year)
- Competitive pension scheme
- Westfield healthcare plan
- Death in service benefit of 3x salary
- Dedicated CPD plan